South Somerset Disability Forum is a group of people with an interest in or experience of disability that aim to improve access for all. The Forum works actively to increase the social inclusion of disabled people with limited mobility and other impairments to enjoy equality of opportunity. In order to achieve the aims of the Charity and the needs of the community our work includes:
- Improving Access to public buildings, public services, education, shops, leisure facilities and the countryside.
- Working for accessible public transport, dropped kerbs, improved road crossings, appropriate parking spaces and ShopMobility.
- Checking planning applications to ensure buildings are designed for inclusive living.
- Giving Disability Equality training to other commercial and voluntary organisations to spread disability awareness. This includes current legislation as well as practical experience of the barriers faced by people with disabilities.
- The Forum is regularly consulted by Town and District Local Authorities, NHS, Police, shops, businesses and other publicly funded charities for its recommendations.
The majority of the work done by the Forum is by the volunteers many of whom have disabilities or care passionately about people with disabilities. Helping, supporting and developing the volunteers is also a large part of the Forum’s work.